1. Wear an approved safety helmet.
2. Wear boots with a heel to keep your feet from sliding through the
3. Don't ride more horse than you can handle.
4. Don't take any horse for granted - even the gentlest horse can spook.
5. Be sure to check your tack before riding. Broken or loose equipment can
cause all sorts of problems.
6. Don't try to impress someone else by showing off.
7. Ride with a friend - so if something bad does happen they can help.
8. If a horse starts to act up, remain calm. Screaming or shouting can
make matters worse.
9. If you do come off your horse (involuntarily), try to relax and roll.
Stretching out an arm to catch your fall could result in a break.
10. If you do come off your horse, let go of the reins to avoid pulling
him over on top of you.